According to a recent survey conducted by Becker’s Hospital Review, when asked what factors influence job retention, nurses responded:
- Flexibility and work-life balance: 39 percent
- Compensation/benefits: 31 percent
- Colleagues: 17 percent
- Career advancement/growth: 7 percent
- Management: 5 percent
Frontier Signal surveyed experienced nurses and asked them “Why do some nurses stay and others leave?” The range of answers echo the findings from the Becker survey:
- Some nurses stay in positions if hours/ location work for them.
- Some don't adapt well to change or take the position that the grass isn't always greener on a new unit.
- Others leave if they have specific career goals and their goals aren't being met on their current unit or could be better met elsewhere.